What we’re calling for
CTC, the national cycling charity, is seeking the views of all parliamentary candidates ahead of the General Election. The policy measures called for below are in line with the recommendations of the parliamentary ‘Get Britain Cycling’ report, which has received strong cross-party backing.
- Increase levels of cycling to 10% of trips by 2025 and 25% by 2050.
- An average government spend of at least £10 per person per year on cycling.
- Design standards.
- Create consistently high design standards for cycling in all highway and traffic schemes, new developments and planned road maintenance work.
- Measures to improve cycle safety by strengthening road traffic law and its enforcement and revising the Highway Code.
- Positive promotion.
- Support positive promotion of cycling, including cycle skills training, for people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.